Federal law limits how long F-1 students on post-completion optional practical training (OPT) or science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) OPT can be unemployed. The limits are:
- Post-completion OPT: 90 days.
- STEM OPT: 150 days, which includes any days accrued while on post-completion OPT.
SEVIS counts the unemployment days for these students by using employer data to:
- Look back to the Actual OPT Start Date for that period of OPT.
- Count each day without employer information.
SEVIS Unemployment Counter
To view the number of days of unemployment for a student on OPT:
1. Go to the Student Information page.
2. Select Employment Information link under the View list on the left side of page. The Employment Information page opens.
3. Click the green icon to expand the period of OPT and view the unemployment counter. The Accrued Days of Unemployment field for that period of OPT displays on the right.
Differences in counting and viewing days of unemployment include:
- STEM OPT: For students on STEM OPT, add the counters for Post-Completion OPT and for STEM OPT at the same education level to get their total days of unemployment.
- How you enter employer data affects the counter. Use the following order:
- Add a new employer.
- Shorten/remove existing employer.
- SEVIS Auto-Terminate functionality for exceeding the unemployment limit is currently disabled.
For additional related information, see SEVIS Help Hub articles: