Prospective and current F or M students can use information and resources on this page to learn about the process for becoming an international student and the rules for studying in the United States as an international student.

International students who come to the United States must follow a specific set of rules, depending on your student type and education level. Use the resources below to learn how to become an F or M international student and maintain your student status.

What's New


Try the Facebook Chatbot

Visit the tool on the Study in the States Facebook page to learn how to become an F or M international student in the United States. 

illustration of phone with alert

Find Active Special Student Relief Notices

Find a list of active Special Student Relief (SSR) notices for F-1 students in the Special Student Relief section on the What's New page on 

Student Resources

illustration of clock

Get Started

With the International Student Life Cycle

checklist illustration


To Study in the United States

If you have been accepted to an SEVP-certified school, you must take additional steps before you enter the United States. Learn more with these resources. 

Financial Ability

Student Forms

Students and the Form I-20

I-901 SEVIS Fee Payment Video

Paying the I-901 SEVIS Fee

book stack illustration


In the United States

If you are a current F or M international student, you are required to maintain your student status. Learn more with these resources.

Maintaining Status

Full Course of Study

Transferring to Another School

Transfer as an M-1 Student

Maintain F and M Status in Emergency Events

Traveling as an International Student

Driving in the United States

illustration of globe, briefcase and work tie


As an International Student

Under certain circumstances, some F and M international students can work or participate in practical training. Visit these resources to learn more about qualifications and requirements.  

Working in the United States

Obtaining a Social Security Number

Training Opportunities in the United States

Applying for Practical Training

Understanding E-Verify

SAVE Case Check

What is an ITIN?

illustration of stack of papers


Your Program of Study

F and M international students must take certain steps at the end of their program of study to either extend their stay, change their status or depart the United States. Read these resources to learn more.   

M-1 Extensions of Stay

Transfer as an F-1 Student

Change of Status

H-1B Status and the Cap Gap Extension

I'm Looking For

Contact Us


SEVP Response Center



Monday - Friday 
8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. ET,
except holidays