SEVIS Address Fields
The SEVIS Address entry modal has five fields: Street Address, Other, City, State, and Zip; with only the Street Address and Zip fields being required. The fields are described in the following table:
|U.S. Address Field Name||Description|
* Required field
Note: If the Street Address is accepted, the Other field text never rejects.
Note: The State field is a drop-down list selection.
* Required field
Note: SEVIS will automatically add the plus four zip routing number, where available.
- Only street address and zip code are required.
- SEVIS will not validate Foreign Address fields.
SEVIS Address Entry
- Initial Registration
- Create New Student
- Update Personal Information
- Student Reinstatement
- Form I-17: Contact Information
- Choose the suggested address.
- Return to edit the address.
- Use the address as entered and provide a reason. (A valid city, state, and zip code are required.)
- Cancel the entry.
Adding SEVIS Address
To add a student’s U.S. address in SEVIS: (We will use the SEVIS Initial Student Registration process as an example.)
1. Go to the Registration: Initial Student page.
2. Click Add Address under the U.S. Address section of the Registration page. The Add Address modal opens.
Text may be upper or lower case. Numbers in a street address should always be entered numerically. For example: One Nassau Place should be entered 1 Nassau Place.
Use the Other field to add campus residence information or other special location information.
- Select: Accepts the SEVIS Suggested Address (default address).
- Over-ride Suggested Address: Allows the DSO to choose the originally entered address.
- Edit Address: Allows the DSO to change the address.
Note: The Over-ride Suggested Address link will only be available for addresses with a valid City, State, and Zip code.
Once the address is selected and the student record is updated, the address displays in the U.S. Address section of the Student Information page.
b. If the zip code or street address was not entered, an error message displays, “The zip code is required as part of the address.” The DSO must either Cancel the address or enter the Zip code and click Submit.
c. If the address is not accepted and SEVIS does not suggest an address, it is because the address could not be found. SEVIS displays an Edit Address modal. Options include:
- Cancel: Allows the DSO to cancel this Edit Address attempt and return to the Registration page.
- Submit: Allows the DSO to edit the City, State or Zip fields.
- Over-ride Validation: Allows the DSO to maintain the entered address.
- New address, mailing
- New address, physical location
- On-campus business address
- On-campus housing address
- On-campus mailing address
- Other: If Other is selected, enter the reason in the Explanation field for over riding the address validation with between 5 and 200 characters.
5. Click Submit.
6. Click Update Information at the bottom of the page to complete updating the nonimmigrant’s address.
Some campus addresses may not be recognized by the SEVIS address check software. Many large schools have their own zip code. The zip code is associated with a specific street address or set of addresses. Typically, this is the main mailing address for the school, the president’s office, or the emergency address used in the 911 system. If one of those “official” street addresses is not entered, the address is not recognized. Campus addresses validate if entered in the following format:
Since the Other field does not validate, the school name, the residence hall address, and the mail box can be entered here.To find the U.S. Postal Service’s address for your school:1. Go to the USPS web site.2. Click Quick Tools.3. Click Look Up a Zip Code. The Zip Code look up tool displays.4. Click Find By Address.5. Enter:a. School nameb. Street address that you havec. Cityd. State6. Click Find.
Address Status and Type in Student Records
Once a U.S. address is entered in a student SEVIS record, it will appear on the Student Information screen. The address status and type that are displayed in the Address Status field help to classify the address.
The address status indicates whether the address was recognized immediately by SEVIS as an existing, valid address or if a DSO had to override the default address to enter it.
|Un-validated; no override||
The Address Type indicates the type of mail receiving facility or dwelling to which the address belongs.
|B||Mailbox at a building|
|F||Mailbox at a company or firm|
|G||General delivery address|
|H||High-rise default address|
|L||Mailbox at a large volume receiver|
|P||Post office box in the address|
|R||Rural route mailbox|
|S||Mailbox at a street address|