Log In and Out of SEVIS
The Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) is the web-based system used to monitor F and M students in the United States, as well as the schools that enroll them. Users access and exit SEVIS by a series of log in and log out steps.
Log In to Sevis
To log into SEVIS:
1. Go to the SEVIS Sign In page.
The Sign In page displays two links for functionality, which are described in other SEVIS Help Hub articles:
Register for New Account: Opens the Register for New SEVIS Account page that allows:
- Potential school users to start the initial school certification process.
- Potential sponsor users to start the program designation process.
- Potential government users to learn how to gain SEVIS access.
Forgot Your Password: Initiates the process for resetting your password.
The Sign In page displays System Notices, which features important system-related events surrounding SEVIS availability.
2. Enter your:
- User Name (for example, asmith1234)
SEVIS locks the account when you incorrectly enter a password three times. Click the Reset Your Password link to use the password reset functionlity.
3. Click Login. The SEVIS Warning page opens.
4. Click either Continue or Log Out:
- Continue: Shows you understand the penalties for entering false data. The U.S. Department of Homeland Security, Privacy Act Statement acknowledgements page opens.
- Log Out: Cancels the SEVIS log in process. The SEVIS Sign In page re-opens.
5. Click either I Have Read and Understand This Notice or Cancel:
Cancel: Stops the SEVIS log in process. The SEVIS Sign In page re-opens.
I Have Read and Understand This Notice: Shows you understand that Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and U. S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) have the right to collect user data from Forms I-983, I-17, and I-20.
If you only have a principal designated school official (PDSO) or designated school official (DSO) role assigned to your SEVIS user name, the Broadcast Messages page opens. Click Main to open the Listing of Schools page.
- If you have a responsible officer (RO) or alternate responsible officer (ARO) user role tied to your SEVIS user name, the U.S. Department of State Use of Information Acknowledgements page opens.
- Click either I Have Read and Understand This Notice or Cancel:
- Cancel: Cancels the SEVIS log in process. The SEVIS Sign In page re-opens.
- I Have Read and Understand This Notice: Shows you understand the U.S. Department of State’s requirements and use of information from Forms DS‑3036, DS‑3037, DS‑2019, and DS‑7002. The Broadcast Messages page opens.
6. Click Listing of Schools to open the Listing of Schools page.
After 18 minutes of inactivity, SEVIS warns that your session is about to expire. Click OK to continue working in SEVIS.
If you are inactive for more than 20 minutes, SEVIS displays a message that your session has already expired. Click OK to return to the SEVIS Sign In page.
- Any unsaved data will be lost.
Log Out of SEVIS
To exit the SEVIS application at any time:
1. Click Logout on the Navigation Bar.
2. The SEVIS Sign In page opens.
Closing the Browser without Logging Out
When you close the web browser without logging out, and then try to log on again within 20 minutes, the following occurs:
- First log on: Closes the previous session. The message, “Previous session is now closed. Please login again,” displays on the SEVIS Sign In page. (See below.)
- Second log on: Normal log on process.