Manage Transfer of M-1 SEVIS Record
When a student begins full-time studies at another school, the student’s SEVIS record must be transferred to that new school. This allows SEVIS and nonimmigrant students to maintain their original SEVIS ID and history. M-1 students may transfer their studies to another school within six months of either:
- First admission in M-1 status.
- Approved change to M-1 status.
It is important to remember:
- Transfer process differs between F-1 and M-1 students.
- M-1 students may only transfer to another M-1 SEVIS-certified school.
- M-1 students must work with their designated school officials (DSOs) to begin the transfer process.
- SEVIS transfers all related M-2 dependents with the primary M-1 students.
If a SEVIS record meets requirements for transfer, DSOs may not refuse to transfer that SEVIS record for any reason.
This guide gives:
- SEVIS M-1 transfer process overview.
- Federal regulations and policy governing the M-1 process.
- How a SEVIS transfer affects an M-1 student record.
This guide and process do not affect school policy or school-owned records.
|1. Transfer-Out School
(“Transfer From School” in SEVIS)
|The school that holds the student record, and after the student notifies the DSO of his/her wish to transfer, starts the transfer process.|
|2. Transfer-In School
(“Transfer To School” in SEVIS)
|The school that the student wants to attend in the future.|
|3. Transfer Request Date||The date the DSO at the transfer-out school enters the transfer request.|
|4. Transfer Release Date||The date the SEVIS record is deactivated from the transfer-out school.|
|5. Transfer Complete Date||
The later of the following dates:
According to regulation, students must tell the DSO at the transfer-out school that they plan to transfer. As a best practice, M-1 students should provide the DSO with all of the following:
- Written confirmation of the acceptance to the new school.
- Written request/permission to begin the transfer.
- SEVIS school code for the transfer-in school.
- Contact information for the new school’s DSO.
M-1 Transfer Guidance
DSOs can transfer M-1 student records to another SEVP-certified M-1 school. However, before the transfer is complete, the M-1 student must submit a transfer application using the Form I-539 to USCIS. The student may begin studying at the new school while the transfer application is pending. Certain conditions allow or prevent an M-1 SEVIS transfer request.
Conditions Allowing an M-1 SEVIS Transfer Request
DSOs may transfer an M-1 record to another SEVP-certified school when the student’s SEVIS record is in one of the following statuses:
Completed and Terminated records will require a reinstatement supported by the transfer-in school. The reinstatement package must be submitted to USCIS, along with the transfer application.
Conditions Preventing an M-1 SEVIS Transfer Request
SEVIS does not allow a DSO to transfer an M-1 record when the student record has a:
- Requested or pending reinstatement.
- Existing transfer request.
- The DSO may request a transfer after six months from the program start date, only if the student cannot remain at the initial school due to circumstances beyond his/her control.
- The student may not change his/her initial education level or objective when transferring.
- Instructions for Transferring to Another School as an M-1 Student (Study in the States)
M-1 Transfer Process and Players
|1||Student||Notifies DSO of wish to transfer to another SEVIS-certified school.
Note: It is good practice for the DSO at the transfer-out school to request:
Transfer-out School and Student
Transfer-in School and Student
M-1 Transfer Process Stages and Student Lists
The student’s SEVIS record will appear on the following lists during the transfer process:
|Stage||Transfer-Out School Lists||Transfer-In School Lists|
|Student Status||Students Transferring Out – Request Status||Student Status||Students Transferring In – Request Status|
|Transfer Request Date Set||Active||Requested||Draft||Requested|
|Transfer Release Date Current||Deactivated||Requested||Draftt||Requested|
|Transfer-in Pending/ Form I-20 Created||Deactivated||Requested||Initial||Requested|
Forms I-20 and
I-539 received by USCIS
Form I-20 Registered
|Transfer-in Completed/ USCIS Approved M-1 Transfer||Deactivated||No longer on list||Active||No longer on list|
- Any M-1 records in Terminated or Completed status at the point of transfer will remain in Terminated or Completed status at the transfer-in school until USCIS approves a reinstatement.
- Any M-1 transfers that remain in Requested status for more than 90 days will appear on an Alert List.
M-1 Transfer Process Stages and Allowed DSO Actions
This chart indicates what actions are available to the DSOs at the transfer-out and transfer-in schools at various points of the M-1 student transfer process.
|Stage||School Officials May|
|Transfer-Out School||Transfer-In School|
|Transfer Request Date||
|Transfer Release Date||View on Deactivated student record:
Form I-20 Created
|View on Deactivated student record:
Any approved RCL (current or future) is canceled on the Transfer Release Date.
Status of RCL at Point of SEVIS Transfer Release Date
SEVIS Action on RCL
Manage M-1 Transfer
When a student begins full-time studies at a new school, the student’s Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) record must be transferred to that new school. This allows SEVIS and nonimmigrant students to maintain their original SEVIS ID and history. Designated school officials (DSOs) can view pending transfers and all past transfer actions in a student’s record, including transfer-in and -out schools and transfer release dates. It is also possible for the DSO to correct or reverse certain recently passed transfers.
To view a pending transfer:
- Navigate to the Student Information page.
2. Click Request/Authorization Details. The Current Request/Authorization Details page opens.
3. Transfer information includes:
- Release date
- Transfer From School/Campus
- Transfer From School Code
- Transfer To School/Campus
- Transfer To School Code
- Request Status
4. Click Return to go back to the Student Information page.
If an M-1 student changes their mind and decides not to transfer to the chosen transfer-in school, the DSO can cancel the M-1 pending transfer in SEVIS at any point before the Transfer Release Date.
If the Transfer Release Date has passed and the M-1 student has already mailed the transfer application to USCIS:
- DSO must not cancel the transfer in SEVIS.
- Student must contact the appropriate service center directly to withdraw the transfer application.
To cancel a pending M-1 transfer in SEVIS:
- Navigate to the Student Information page:
2. Click Cancel Transfer. The Cancel Transfer Event page opens.
3. Enter any relevant remarks and click one of the following:
- Cancel Transfer: The Confirm page opens. Click one of the following:
Do not cancel the transfer in SEVIS, if the M-1 transfer application paperwork has been sent to USCIS. The student must write to USCIS to have the extension application withdrawn.
- Yes: Opens the Update Successful page. Click one of the following:
- Return to View Record: Opens the Student Information page.
- Print I-20: Prints the student’s Form I-20.
- No: Cancels the action and returns the user to the Student Information page
- Reset Values: Returns all fields to their original values.
- Cancel: Cancels the action and returns the user to the Student Information page.
If the student decides to remain at the transfer-out school after the Transfer Release Date, contact the SEVP Response Center at (703) 603-3400 or (800) 892-4829, and request that the transfer be canceled. Performing a transfer correction in SEVIS on a student wishing to remain at the transfer-out school will create a new student record and important information will be lost.
The new Transfer History page allows DSOs to see all of the transfer activity associated with a particular student from the creation of the SEVIS record to the point the student arrives at the DSOs’ schools. To open the Transfer History page:
- Navigate to the Student Information page.
2. Click Transfer History. The Transfer History page opens.
The Transfer History page displays the following information about every transfer that has occurred on the SEVIS record since its creation to the present:
- Transfer Release Date
- Transfer From [Out] School Name – Campus Name
- Transfer From [Out] School Code
- Transfer To [In] School Name – Campus Name
- Transfer To [In] School Code