Designated school officials (DSOs) sometimes have to update SEVIS to reflect a change in the student’s academic program or to fix an error. The DSO must update any changes to a student’s primary academic field of study within 21 days, so the updated program information is reflected in the student’s SEVIS record and Form I-20.
DSOs can update the following fields:
It is not for starting a new program of study.
Note: Use the Change Education Level function if the student begins a new program of study.
|Major Code 1*||
|Major Code 2*||
|Remarks about the Student||Applicable remarks regarding the student’s Program change(s)
Note: Comments entered in any >Remarks field throughout the electronic Form I-20 will overwrite existing remarks and will print on page 1 of the Form I-20 in the “Remarks” section.
Update F-1 Program Information
1. Go to the Student Information page.
2. Click Edit in the Program section. The Update Program Information page opens.
3. Update Program fields, as necessary.
- Since this is an update, when the Update Program Information page opens, all required fields contain student program information. Change only the fields that need to be updated.
- All program and session dates entered in SEVIS must correspond to your school’s academic calendar.
- Click the Education Level drop-down arrow.
- Select the student’s correct education level.
- Only update the student’s education level here to correct a mistake in the education level. Do not use to start a student’s new program of study.
- The student’s education level for a new program of study should only be changed through the Change Education Level function on the Student Information page.
Major Code 1, Major Code 2, and/or Minor Code
Update the Major Code 1, Major Code 2, and/or Minor Code in one of two ways:
- First method – Type the full program Classification of Instructional Program (CIP) Code in the applicable box.
- Second method:
1. Click Select under the applicable major or minor field. The Acceptable CIP Codes modal opens.
2. Enter in the Search box one of two options:
- Major/minor name or portion of the name
- CIP code or portion of the code
3. Click the applicable CIP code in the left column, or,
4. Click Cancel to cancel the action and return to the Update Program Information page.
- All three fields, Major Code 1, Major Code 2, and Minor Code are required.
- If no secondary major, click No Major 2 check box.
- If no chosen minor field of study, click No Minor check box.
- This field is only changed if the student has completed the required English as a Second Language courses and has entered full-time into the academic program.
Click the Yes or No button to indicate whether your school requires English proficiency:
- If you select No:
- Explain why the school does not require English Proficiency comment field opens.
- Enter the reason why your school does not require English Proficiency in this field. This field has a 1,000-character limit.
Note: This explanation prints on page 1 of the student’s Form I-20 in the Program of Study section, under the topic English Proficiency Notes.
- If you select Yes to indicate your school requires English proficiency, you must select either Yes or No to indicate if the student has the required English Proficiency.
If you select No, indicating the student is not proficient in the English language; do not issue the Form I 20, as the student has not yet met all admission requirements.
Remarks about the Student
- Enter any remarks regarding the student’s Program Update in the Remarks about the Student section. This field has a 1,000-character limit.
- Comments entered in any Remarks field throughout the electronic Form I-20 overwrites any existing remarks and prints on page 1 of the Form I-20 in the Remarks section.
- Click the Update Information button. An Update Successful message opens.
- Select one of the two option buttons: Return to View Record and Print I-20.
- Return to View Record: If chosen, choose Reprint I-20 button once on the Student Information page.
- Print I-20: If chosen, a Form I-20 prints that contains the change in Program Information.
- When information on the Form I-20 changes, it is best to print and sign a new Form I-20 for the student before returning to view the student record.
- Students are expected to keep all Forms I-20 issued during their academic career.
- 8 CFR 214.2(f)(2)
- Program Information Update is completed.
Verify with the registrar’s office or the school database before making the change(s) in SEVIS. This helps ensure the correct programs are chosen for updating.
When a student signs the Form I-20, he/she attests that all of the information on the form is correct and true. The student is required to report any change on the Form I-20 to the DSO.