Manage Transfer of F-1 SEVIS Record
When a student begins full-time studies at a new school, the student’s SEVIS record must be transferred to that new school. This allows SEVIS and nonimmigrant students to maintain their original SEVIS ID and history. F-1 students may transfer their studies to another school during either one of two conditions:
- During an academic program.
- After completing an academic program and before starting a different degree program or level.
It is important to remember:
- Transfer process differs between F-1 and M-1 students.
- F-1 students may only transfer to another F-1 SEVIS-certified school.
- F-1 students must work with their designated school officials (DSOs) to begin the transfer process.
- SEVIS transfers all related F-2 dependents with the primary F-1 students.
If a SEVIS record meets requirements for transfer, DSOs may not refuse to transfer that SEVIS record for any reason.
This guide gives:
- SEVIS F-1 transfer process overview.
- Federal regulations and policy governing the F-1 transfer process.
- How a SEVIS transfer affects an F-1 student record.
This guide and process do not affect school policy or school-owned records.
(“Transfer From School” in SEVIS)
|The school that holds the student record, and after the student notifies the DSO of his/her wish to transfer, starts the transfer process.|
(“Transfer To School” in SEVIS)
|The school that the student wants to attend in the future.|
|Transfer Request Date||The date the DSO at the transfer-out school enters the transfer request.|
|Transfer Release Date||The date the SEVIS record is deactivated at the transfer-out school and appears at the transfer-in school.|
|Transfer Complete Date||The date the transfer-in school registers the Initial transfer-in SEVIS record, and the student record changes to Active.|
According to regulation, students must tell the DSO at the transfer-out school that they plan to transfer. As a best practice, F-1 students should provide the DSO with all of the following:
- Written confirmation of the acceptance to the new school.
- Written request/permission to begin the transfer.
- SEVIS school code for the transfer-in [transfer-to] school.
- Contact information for the new school’s DSO.
F-1 Transfer Guidance
DSOs can transfer F-1 students to another SEVP-certified school, if the conditions are met allowing the F-1 SEVIS transfer request; but if the conditions are not met, SEVIS will prevent an F-1 transfer request.
Conditions Allowing an F-1 SEVIS Transfer Request
DSOs may transfer an F-1 record to another SEVP-certified school when:
- Student’s SEVIS record is in one of the following statuses:
- Completed and Terminated records require a U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) reinstatement supported by the transfer-in school.
- The principal designated school official (PDSO) may transfer students who:
- Have just transferred-in.
- Whose draft SEVIS records have been created and changed to Initial status.
- Remain in Initial status.
- Student will start the new program with the first available session, which begins within five months of whichever following date is earlier:
- Transfer Release Date.
- Current program completion date in the SEVIS record.
- Student is on post-completion optional practical training (OPT), and will resume classes within five months of whichever following date is earlier:
- Transfer Release Date.
- Authorized OPT end date.
Conditions Preventing an F-1 SEVIS Transfer Request
SEVIS does not allow a DSO to transfer a record when:
- Student record has a:
- Requested change of education level.
- Requested or pending reinstatement.
- Existing transfer request.
- Transfer Release Date is more than six months from the current date.
- Instructions for Transferring to Another School as an F-1 Student (Study in the States)
- See Key SEVIS Registration Dates for registration timeline.
F-1 Transfer Process
Notifies DSO of wish to transfer to another SEVIS-certified school.
Note: It is good practice for the DSO at the transfer-out school to request:
Transfer-out School and Student
F-1 Transfer Process Stages and Student Lists
The student name and transfer request will appear on the Transferring lists in the following SEVIS statuses during the transfer process:
|Stage||Transfer-Out School||Transfer-In School|
|Student Status||Students Transferring Out List – Request Status||Student Status||Students Transferring In List – Request Status|
|Deactivated||No longer on list||Active||No longer on list|
- Any F-1 records in Terminated or Completed status at the point of transfer will stay in Terminated or Completed status at the transfer-in school, until USCIS approves a reinstatement.
- The Terminated or Completed student can also depart the United States and return with an Initial Attendance Form I-20 from the transfer-in school. The new SEVIS record will reset the student’s F-1 status and benefits clock, but would avoid a reinstatement.
F-1 Transfer Process Stages and Allowed DSO Actions
This chart shows what actions are available to the DSOs at the transfer-out and transfer-in schools at various points of the F-1 student transfer process. The stage the record is in, during the transfer process, determines the actions a DSO can take.
|Stage||Available Actions for School Officials|
|Transfer-Out School||Transfer-In School|
|Transfer Request Date||
|| View the following on draft student record:
Transfer Release Date
|View the following on deactivated student record:
|View the following on Deactivated student record:
F-1 Transfer with Employment
All F-1 employment (current and future) is canceled and must stop on the Transfer Release Date.
|Status of Employment
on Transfer Release Date
|SEVIS Action on Employment
on Transfer End Date
F-1 Transfer with Reduced Course Load (RCL)
Any approved RCL (current or future) is canceled on the Transfer Release Date.
|Status of RCL at Point of SEVIS Transfer Release Date||SEVIS Action on RCL on
Transfer Release Date
Manage F-1 Transfer
When a student begins full-time studies at a new school, the student’s Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) record must be transferred to that new school. This allows SEVIS and nonimmigrant students to maintain their original SEVIS ID and history. Designated school officials (DSOs) can view pending transfers and all past transfer actions in a student’s record, including transfer-in and -out schools and transfer release dates. It is also possible for the DSO to correct or reverse certain recently passed transfers.
View Pending Transfer
To view a pending transfer:
1. Navigate to the Student Information page.
2. Click Request/Authorization Details. The Current Request/Authorization Details page opens.
3. Transfer information includes:
- Release date
- Transfer From School/Campus
- Transfer From School Code
- Transfer To School/Campus
- Transfer To School Code
- Request Status
4. Click Return to go back to the Student Information page.
If an F-1 student changes her mind and decides not to transfer to the chosen transfer-in school, the DSO can cancel the F-1 pending transfer at any point before the Transfer Release Date. To cancel a pending transfer:
- Navigate to the Student Information page:
2. Click Cancel Transfer. The Cancel Transfer Event page opens.
3. Enter any relevant remarks and click one of the following:
- Cancel Transfer: Cancels the transfer request. The Update Successful page opens. Click one of the following:
- Return to View Record: Opens the Student Information page.
- Print I-20: Prints the student’s Form I-20.
- Reset Values: Returns all fields to their original values.
- Cancel: Cancels the action and returns the user to the Student Information page.
Sometimes DSOs transfer students to another school in error. Here are a couple of options for correcting the mistake.
If the student decides to remain at the transfer-out school after the Transfer Release Date, contact the SEVP Response Center at (703) 603-3400 or (800) 892-4829, and request that the transfer be canceled. Performing a transfer correction in SEVIS on a student wishing to remain at the transfer-out school will create a new student record and important information will be lost.
The principal designated school official (PDSO) at the transfer-in school may transfer F-1 students, who have just transferred-in, to a different school, as long as the student’s record remains in Initial status. This option is available in the student’s SEVIS record Corrections menu. DSOs do not have this ability.
Once a student is registered, the transfer is marked complete and the Transfer Out link in the Corrections menu will no longer be available, even if the student is returned to Initial status.
See PDSO Record Correction on the SEVIS Help Hub for detailed directions.
The new Transfer History page allows DSOs to see all of the transfer activity associated with a particular student from the creation of the SEVIS record to the point the student arrives at the DSOs’ schools. To open the Transfer History page:
- Navigate to the Student Information page.
2. Click Transfer History. The Transfer History page opens.
The Transfer History page displays the following information about every transfer that has occurred on the SEVIS record since its creation to the present:
- Transfer Release Date
- Transfer From [Out] School Name – Campus Name
- Transfer From [Out] School Code
- Transfer To [In] School Name – Campus Name
- Transfer To [In] School Code