F-1 Curricular Practical Training (CPT)
Some F-1 students are eligible for practical training. There are two types of F-1 practical training: curricular practical training (CPT) and optional practical training (OPT).
|Type of Practical Training||Distinction|
|Curricular Practical Training (CPT)||
|Optional Practical Training (OPT)||
This article focuses on CPT.
The following articles on the SEVIS Help Hub provide useful information about student employment:
Regulations and Policy
Complex rules apply to CPT because the training opportunity must comply with both:
- Federal regulations
- School policies regarding internships, experiential learning, etc.
Designated school officials must understand the following federal regulations and policy guidance to determine if a student qualifies for CPT:
Regulations applicable to CPT:
A DSO can authorize CPT for an F-1 student enrolled at an SEVP-certified college, university, conservatory, or seminary if the student:
- Has been lawfully enrolled on a full-time basis for at least a full academic year.
Note: An exception exists for students in graduate studies whose programs require earlier training.
- Is not studying English as a second language.
- Has secured a training position.
CPT authorization is only required when the training is inside the United States. For example, a summer internship in a student’s home country does not need CPT authorization.
CPT Process Overview
Note: The student cannot start work prior to the start date. All work must end by the CPT end date.
DSOs can cancel curricular practical training before the CPT start date. After the CPT start date, the DSO can only edit the authorization to shorten the CPT end date.
To cancel CPT for a student:
1. Go to the CPT Employment page.
2. Click Cancel in the Command column for the CPT authorization you want to remove. The Cancel CPT Employment page opens.
3. Review the information. Click either Cancel Employment or Return.
- Cancel Employment: Cancels the CPT authorization. An Update Successful page opens. Click either Return to Employment List or Print I-20:
- Return to Employment List: Opens the CPT Employment page.
- Print I-20: Prints the Form I-20.
- Return: Takes you back to the CPT Employment page without canceling CPT.
Note: SEVIS continues to display canceled CPT authorizations. They are part of the history of actions taken on the student’s record.
DSOs can edit CPT authorizations to defer, update, or shorten the authorization. To edit CPT:
1. Go to the CPT Employment page.
2. Click Edit next to the CPT authorization you want to update. The Edit CPT Employment page opens.
3. Update the field(s) that needs to be edited.
4. Click Update Employment, Reset Values, or Cancel.
Any changes made to CPT authorization display in Event History.
View CPT Information
DSOs can view CPT information in four different locations in the student’s record:
1. Student List: Students with Curricular Practical Training (CPT): Accessed from Student Lists page.
2. Employment Information page: Accessed from Student Information page.
3. Current Requests/Authorization Details page: Accessed from Student Information page.
4. Event History page: Accessed from Student Information page.
Student List: Students With Curricular Practical Training (CPT)
This student list allows DSOs to find students with active or future CPT authorizations quickly. A student with multiple CPT authorizations will appear on the list more than once.
Employment Information Page
SEVIS displays CPT authorizations on the Employment Information page.
Current Requests/Authorization Details Page
The Current Requests/Authorization Details page displays information on current and future CPT authorizations only.
Student Event History
SEVIS captures and displays the history of CPT authorizations in the student’s Event History.