DSOs can add a dependent to an F or M student record:
- When the student’s record is created.
- Note: See Create Initial Form I-20 (COE) article for a description of creating the dependent record with the student record.
- After the student’s record is created.
When DSOs add dependents, SEVIS assigns a unique SEVIS ID to each dependent record, and creates a separate Form I-20 for each dependent. This form serves as the dependent’s eligibility document for:
- Visa issuance
- Entering the United States as an F-2 or M-2
- Applying for a change of status to F-2 or M-2 while inside the United States
One spouse is permitted to enter with the student.
F and M dependents who are minors accompanying their families to the United States may enter up to the age of 21. The alert list, Dependent Children Within 90 Days of 21st Birthday, lists the F-2 or M-2 children who will no longer be eligible for F-2 or M-2 status, because they will turn 21 years old within 90 days. SEVIS will terminate their record the day after their 21st birthday.