Correct SEVIS Status of USCIS Request User Guide
Students must apply with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) to change their immigration status or for some types of work permission. Sometimes the Computer Linked Application Information Management System (CLAIMS) interface does not update the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) with USCIS’ decision.
When this happens, a designated school official (DSO) can request a change to the status of a student request in SEVIS, once the student provides evidence of the correct status to the DSO. However, Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) must approve all status change requests. The table below shows student status request changes that can be made through this correction request.
Possible student requests include:
- F-1 only
- Off-Campus Employment
- Optional Practical Training (OPT)
- F-1 and M-1:
- Change of Status
- M-1 only:
- Practical Training
|Request Status in Record||Change Request Status To|
Correct SEVIS Status of USCIS Request
To request a change in SEVIS to the status of a student USCIS request:
1. Navigate to the Student Information page.
2. Click Corrections. The Corrections Management page opens.
3. Click Correct Student Requests to USCIS. The Correction Request: Open Student Requests to USCIS page opens.
4. Click Request Correction. The Correction Request: OPT page opens
5. Edit the information:
- Change Request Status To drop-down list will vary depending on the current status of the application as it is in SEVIS.
- Additional required fields will vary depending on the:
- Type of USCIS application.
- Requested status change.
- Correction Remarks will always be required.
Note: Below is an example of updating a student’s Optional Practical Training status from Requested to Approved.
Note: An * (asterisk) indicates required fields.
|*Change Request Status To||Select one of the following from the drop-down list:
|*USCIS Approved Start Date||USCIS-authorized employment start date|
|*USCIS Approved End Date||USCIS-authorized employment end date|
|*Actual Start Date||The date the student’s authorized employment starts. It is also the USCIS-approved Employment Start Date.|
|*Actual End Date||The date the student’s authorized employment ends/ ended. It may be before the USCIS-approved employment end date if a change in the student’s immigration situation has ended an already approved period of employment.|
|*Correction Remarks||Clearly explain why the correction is needed. (This field allows 1000 characters.)|
6. Click one of the following
- Cancel: Cancels the action and returns the user to the Student Information page.
- Submit: Submits the correction request. The Submit Successful page opens.
This page has the number assigned to the correction request. This case number will appear with the case information for this correction request on the Corrections Management page.
7. Click one of the following:
- Upload Evidence: The Upload Correction Request Evidence page opens.
- Return to Corrections Management Page: Returns the user to the Corrections Management page.
- Return to the Student Information Page: Returns the user to the Student Information page.
Evidence to Upload at Time of Submission
This chart lists appropriate documents to upload for different request types and statuses.
|change request status to||Document to upload|