Travel, Visa, and Passport Information
SEVIS gets data about students and dependents from other U.S. government systems. This information includes the student’s:
- U.S. visa
- Entry to or exit from the United States
SEVIS shows this information in the Travel, Passport, and Visa sections of the Student Information page.
Designated school officials (DSOs) can add information about any of these, if it is missing. DSOs cannot edit any information SEVIS gets from a government interface.
DSOs are not required to enter information on a student’s passport, visa, and entry or exit from the United States.
Visa and Passport Information for Dual Citizens
Some students have citizenship in more than one country. The passport information in SEVIS should match the passport used both to:
- Get the F or M visa.
- Enter the United States in F or M status.
Add, Update, or Edit the Travel, Passport, or Visa Information
To add or update the passport, visa, or port of entry/departure:
1. Go to the Student Information page.
2. Click Edit in the Travel, the Passport, or the Visa section. The Travel, Passport and Visa Information Update page opens.
Note: The Edit buttons in all three of the Travel, the Passport, and the Visa sections bring the user to the same Travel, Passport and Visa Information Update page.
3. Enter or update the information. SEVIS displays any data received from another government database as read-only text; it cannot be edited.
|Port of Entry||
Select the location from the drop-down list, where the student or dependent entered the United States through U.S. immigration inspection. The list contains:
|Date of Entry||Enter the date the nonimmigrant was admitted to the United States.|
|I-94 Admission Number||Enter the student’s Admission Number.|
|Port of Departure||
Select the location from the drop-down list, where the student or dependent left the United States. The list contains:
|Date of Departure||Enter the date the student left the United States.|
|Passport Number||Enter the student’s passport number.|
|Passport Expiration Date||Enter the date the passport expires.|
|Passport Issuing Country||Select the country from the drop-down list that issued the passport.|
|Visa Number||Enter the visa number.|
|Visa Issue Date||Enter the date the visa was issued.|
|Visa Expiration Date||Enter the date the visa expires.|
|Port/Country of Visa Issuance||Select the U.S. consular post from the drop-down list that issued the visa.|
4. Click either Save or Cancel.
- Save submits the changes. An Update Successful message opens.
- Click Return to View Record to go to the Student Information page.
- Click Print I-20 to print the Certificate of Eligibility (Form I-20).
- Cancel returns the user to the Student Information page without making the change.
Correcting Travel, Passport, and Visa Information
DSOs can edit any information that has been manually entered by a DSO.
DSOs cannot edit information that comes from another government database. If the information is incorrect, DSOs must call the SEVIS Help Desk (1-800-892-4829) to get it corrected.