Report School Disciplinary Action as Result of Student Crime Conviction
Designated school officials (DSOs) must report in SEVIS within 21 days of any disciplinary action the school takes against a student as a direct result of a criminal conviction. Such action may include barring the student from campus, suspension, and expulsion of the student.
For additional information on reporting requirements:
- 8 CFR § 214.3(g)(1)
- 8 CFR § 214.3(g)(2)(ii)(D)
Warning: Disciplinary action that requires reporting in SEVIS is limited to action taken that is a direct result of a criminal conviction. Do NOT use this function to report actions that are not crime-related, such as:
- Placement on academic probation
- Student life infractions
Note: This does not terminate the student record.
Report Disciplinary Action Taken Due to Conviction of a Crime
To report a disciplinary action taken by a school, because a student was convicted of a crime:
- Navigate to the Student Information page.
2. Click the Disciplinary Action link on the left side of the page under Actions. The Disciplinary Action page opens.
3. Complete the following fields:
Select checkbox if the school took a disciplinary action, as a result of the student being convicted of a crime.
Explain what disciplinary action was taken and why.
4. Click Submit Action, Reset Values, or Cancel on the Disciplinary Action page:
- Submit Action: Submits this Disciplinary Action and adds it to the student’s SEVIS record. The Update Successful confirmation page opens.
- Click either Return to View Record or Print I-20 on the Update Successful page:
- Return to View Record: Returns to the Student Information page with the Explanation comments printed in the Overall Remarks field. The Disciplinary Action is also listed on the Event History page.
- Print I-20: Prints the student’s Form I-20 with the Explanation comments printed in the Remarks field.
- Reset Values: Clears the fields on the Disciplinary Action page.
- Cancel: Cancels the action without filing a Disciplinary Action report and returns to the Student Information page.