Change to Termination Reason
Occasionally, a student or dependent’s termination reason needs to be changed; for example:
- Student notifies the school that he/she is not returning for the next session. The DSO does not take action on the record; so then, the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) auto-terminates the record for Failure to Enroll. The DSO can request a new termination reason for the Authorized Early Withdrawal, which does not carry negative consequences.
- Student requests a temporary leave of absence and the DSO terminates the record with Authorized Early Withdrawal. However, the student is not able to return within the five-month limit. The DSO can request a termination reason change from Authorized Early Withdrawal to Absent from Country for Five Months.
DSOs can submit a correction request to change the status of a termination reason. However, the Student Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) must approve this type of correction request.
Request Change to Termination Reason
To request a change to a student’s termination reason:
1. Navigate to the Student Information page.
2. Click Corrections. The Corrections Management page opens.
3. Click Request Change to Termination Reason. The Correction Request: Termination Reason page opens.
4. Complete the fields:
Note: DSOs should never use School Withdrawn. SEVIS notes this reason when it auto-terminates a student record, because a school loses SEVP certification and is withdrawn from SEVP.
Note: See the SEVIS Help Hub on Study in the States for more information on SEVIS Termination Reasons.
|Termination Reason Comment||
5. Click one of the following:
- Cancel: Cancels the action and returns the user to the Corrections Management page.
- Submit Correction: Submits the correction request. The Submit Successful page opens.
This page has the number assigned to the correction request. This case number will appear with the case information for this correction request on the Corrections Management page.
6. Click one of the following:
- Upload Evidence: The Upload Correction Request Evidence page opens.
- Return to Corrections Management Page: Returns to the Corrections Management page.
- Return to the Student Information Page: Returns to the Student Information page.