US flag   Official website of the Department of Homeland Security

U.S. Department of Homeland Security: Study in the States

View Disclaimer


Questions from DSOs: What is the Difference Between a Reinstatement and a Correction Request?

September 27, 2018

Designated school officials (DSOs) have several options for changing the status of a terminated Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) record. If the student’s record was terminated in error, the DSO can submit a correction request through SEVIS. However, if the student failed to maintain status and the termination is appropriate, the student must apply for a reinstatement with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

Correction Request

Principal designated school officials (PDSOs) and DSOs can submit a correction request when a student’s SEVIS record was terminated because of  administrative error. For example, if a student’s SEVIS record auto-terminated because you failed to register the student for a session by the registration-reporting deadline and the student was enrolled in classes, you would submit a correction request to change it from terminated to active.

You can request the following changes to student records by using the “Correction Request” option in SEVIS:

For step-by-step instructions to submit a correction request, visit the Correction Request page on the SEVIS Help Hub.


If an F or M student record is terminated because the student failed to maintain status they must file for reinstatement with USCIS or depart the United States immediately.

The student starts the process by asking you to recommend them for reinstatement in SEVIS. Once you have made the recommendation, you must print and sign the new Form I-20, “Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status,” with an issue reason of Reinstatement to the student.

The student mails a copy of the signed Form I-20 and a completed Form I-539, “Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status,” with applicable fees and supporting documents to USCIS.

Visit the Reinstatement page on the SEVIS Help Hub for more information about:

  • Recommending students for reinstatement.
  • The full student reinstatement application.
  • USCIS approval and denial notification.

For additional questions about correction requests or reinstatement, please contact the SEVP Response Center.

Back to Blog

Was This Helpful?

Additional Feedback
Additional Feedback