US flag   Official website of the Department of Homeland Security

U.S. Department of Homeland Security: Study in the States

View Disclaimer



January 15, 2020
The Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) released policy guidance titled, “Form I-20 Issuance and School Use of Recruiters,” in June 2019,...
Woman looking at a computer
Filter Blog By:
From Our Partners at USCIS
June 13, 2017
International students must complete the Form I-765, “Application for Employment Authorization” when applying for certain types of employment or training opportunities while in the United States. Students must properly complete this form and receive authorization from USCIS before beginning their...
Young man sitting at a desk and writing in front of a computer
March 14, 2017
Each year—usually by April 15—anyone who earns income in the United States is required to file and pay taxes to the federal government. However, F and M international students must follow special regulations when paying taxes on their income.Who Must Pay TaxesIn general, you may be required to file...
Important Message: Regarding Certain F-1 Students from Nepal
January 3, 2017
On Tuesday, Dec. 27, 2016, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) posted a notice in the Federal Register that provides an 18-month extension of the employment authorization for Nepali F-1 students experiencing severe economic hardship as a direct result of the April 25, 2015, earthquake in...
Waitress serving breakfast.
June 15, 2016
If you are an F-1 international student who wants to train, intern or work this summer, your first step is to talk to your designated school official (DSO).It is illegal to work in the United States without authorization, so it is important that you speak with your DSO to make sure you follow the...