1. Home
  2. Blog
  3. Questions from DSOs: How do I Submit a Correction Request?
DSO reads instructions to submit correction request

Questions from DSOs: How do I Submit a Correction Request?

March 26, 2019

School officials must maintain accurate student records and address all errors in the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) immediately. Inaccurate data can affect the status of a student’s SEVIS record, can put a student’s eligibility for benefits at risk and can put their application for an F or M visa, admission to a program or entry into the United States in jeopardy. 

If you make an error or fail to properly report on a student’s record, you must either:

  • Request a correction to student data in SEVIS.
  • Or, contact the Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) Response Center (SRC) to request a data fix.

In some situations, principal designated school officials (PDSOs) can make immediate corrections to inaccurate SEVIS data themselves by using the “Corrections” menu in SEVIS. These corrections do not require SEVIS Help Desk adjudication and are implemented immediately. For more specific information about these instances, visit the PDSO Record Correction page on the SEVIS Help Hub.

Request a Correction in SEVIS

PDSOs and designated school officials (DSOs) can request the following changes to student records by using the Correction Request option in SEVIS:

Each request for correction receives a correction request number and is sent to the SRC for adjudication. For more information about requesting a correction in SEVIS, visit the Correction Requests Overview page on the SEVIS Help Hub.

Data Fixes

Contact the SRC directly to request a data fix for more complicated corrections that cannot be addressed by a correction request in SEVIS itself. To request a data fix, call the SRC to submit a ticket. SRC representatives will provide case specific next step instructions during the call.

Please note, SEVP may request that you send additional information to adjudicate a correction or data fix. To avoid this, fill out the Correction Remarks field in SEVIS with as much clarity and detail as possible to help SEVP better understand your request.

If you have a correction request, submit a correction request in SEVIS or contact the SRC at 703-603-3400 or toll-free at 800-892-4829.  

Was This Helpful?
Please provide feedback on this page.