1. Home
  2. Blog
  3. What is a Form I-515A?

Please note, this content may be outdated. Visit Study in the States' Students, Schools and Blog pages for more timely information on this topic.

Girl walking with orange suitcase.

What is a Form I-515A?

January 28, 2013

As an F or M student, there are certain forms you need to bring with you when you arrive in the United States. If you don’t bring these forms, a U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officer at the point of entry will issue you a Form I-515A, “Notice to Student or Exchange Visitor.” This form is a checklist that tells you what information is missing or incomplete and what your next steps should be.

If CBP issues you a Form I-515A, do you know what to do?

  • Tell your designated school official (DSO) that you have been given this form. He or she can help you submit the right information to complete this form.
  • You have 30 days from the date you enter the United States to submit correct paperwork to the Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) I-515A processing team.  You need to collect all of the required paperwork and send original documents to this address:

Student and Exchange Visitor Program
ATTN: SEVIS/I-515A Processing Team
500 12th Street SW STOP 5600
Washington, DC 20536-5600

  • SEVP will process your documents and return the originals to your DSO. If you have submitted everything correctly, SEVP will also send a letter of approval and your Form I-94, “Arrival/Departure Record,” will have an extended departure date. Make sure you get these documents from your DSO for safe keeping.
  • Do you know how to avoid CBP issuing you a Form I-515A?

    Make sure all paperwork has all of the correct information.

    Was This Helpful?
    Please provide feedback on this page.