Your Guide to Studying in the States

F-1 English Language Training

Based on the student type and education level you selected, below is an overview of important information for you to know. This guide includes information about every step in the international student process, from researching a program to graduating and departing the United States.

Prepare Travel Study Student Benefits Change Status Depart

If you want to study English in the United States, the first step is to research the school or program that most interests you. There are two different classifications of English language training programs in the United States:

  • “Stand-alone” schools that offer only English language training programs.
  • “Combined” schools that offer English language training programs as well as other programs of study.

Visit the Programs of Study page to learn more about these options.

  • Visit EducationUSA
    The U.S. Department of State’s EducationUSA helps international students learn about the types of education available in the United States, including English language training programs. EducationUSA also has resources about financial aid. To learn more about how EducationUSA can help you, visit the EducationUSA website or one of more than 400 EducationUSA advising centers around the world.
  • Apply to an Accredited, SEVP-Certified School
    Only schools certified by the Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) can accept international students. In addition, schools must hold an accreditation from a U.S. Department of Education-recognized accrediting agency to enroll F-1 English language training students. For more information about accreditation, please visit The Basics of School Accreditation page.

    Use the Study in the States School Search page to make sure the school you are interested in attending is SEVP-certified. Using the page, you can search by school name, location, education or visa type. Once you confirm that your school of choice is certified to accept international students and holds the proper accreditation, follow the instructions on the school’s website to apply for admission.
  • Receive Your Form I-20
    Once accepted into an SEVP-certified school, you will receive a Form I-20, “Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status,” from your designated school official (DSO). DSOs work at SEVP-certified schools and are there to help you understand and follow the rules for studying in the United States. It is important that you know who your DSO is and how to contact them.

    The Form I-20 is an important document that you should keep safe, as you will need it throughout the international student process. For more information about the Form I-20 and when you need it, please visit the What is the Form I-20? page on Study in the States.
  • Bring Your Dependents
    As an F-1 international student, you may bring your spouse (e.g., husband, wife, legal partner) and children with you while you study in the United States. However, they will also need to receive a Form I-20 from your DSO and follow specific rules while they are here. Visit the Dependents page for more information about bringing family to the United States.




Traveling to the United States requires that you take certain steps before your arrival. It is also necessary to be prepared and organized when you arrive at the U.S. port of entry. Additional travel information can be found on the Getting to the United States page.

  • Pay Your I-901 SEVIS Fee
    After you receive your Form I-20, the next step is to pay your I-901 SEVIS Fee. Regulation requires that all international students pay this fee before the Department of State issues them a visa. Visit the Paying the I-901 SEVIS Fee page on Study in the States and watch the I-901 SEVIS Fee payment tutorial to learn about each step of the payment process.

    Remember to keep your I-901 SEVIS Fee payment receipt and be sure to check that the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) identification (ID) number on the receipt matches the SEVIS ID number that appears on your Form I-20. Please contact SEVP if the SEVIS ID number on these two documents does not match or if you encounter other issues during the payment process.
  • Apply for a U.S. Visa
    After being accepted to an SEVP-certified school and getting a receipt for payment of the I-901 SEVIS Fee, you can apply for a visa at a U.S. embassy or consulate. Visit the U.S. Department of State’s website for more information about applying for an F-1 visa. You can also find your nearest embassy or consulate by visiting the U.S. Embassy website.

    Once you receive your visa, check to make sure that you received the right type of visa (F-1) and that your name and date of birth are correct and match the information in your passport. Remember that a student visa does not guarantee entrance into the country, but it does give you permission to arrive at a U.S. port of entry.
  • Arrive at U.S. Port of Entry
    You may enter the United States up to 30 days before your official program start date listed on your Form I-20. When you arrive to the United States, you will meet a U.S. Customs and Border Patrol (CBP) officer who has the authority to admit or deny your entrance into the country. You must present the CBP officer with your Form I-20, as well as your valid visa and passport. It is also a good idea to have your acceptance letter from your SEVP-certified school, your evidence of financial support, and the name and telephone number of your DSO. Be sure to keep these documents and information in your carry-on luggage, as you will not be able to access any of your checked baggage until after you pass through the U.S. port of entry.

    A CBP officer may direct you to secondary inspection and interview you further to determine if you may enter the United States. If you do not have all your documents or if the officer cannot verify your information, they may deny you entry into the country or issue you a Form I-515A, “Notice to Student or Exchange Visitor.” If you receive a Form I-515A, you must work with your DSO to respond to it within 30 days. Visit What is the Form I-515A? page for more information.
  • Receive a form I-94
    If CBP admits you into the country, they will give you an admission stamp in your passport and issue an electronic Form I-94, "Arrival and Departure Record." The Form I-94 includes information about when you were admitted, what status you must maintain (F-1) and how long you can stay in the United States. The CBP officer will inform you where to find your electronic Form I-94. You should verify that the “Admit Until” date on your Form I-94 and admission stamp on your passport lists “D/S” (that means, Duration of Status) and not a specific date. For more information about the Form I-94 and the arrival process in the United States, visit the CBP website



While studying in the United States it is important to maintain your status, which relates to the purpose or reason for why you want to come to the United States. As an F-1 English language training student, your primary purpose for coming to the United States is to complete a full course of study at an SEVP-certified English language training program.

This means you must not take any action that detracts from fulfilling this purpose and follow the regulations associated with studying in the United States. Additional information can be found on the Maintaining Your Status page and the English Language Training page.

  • Enroll in a Full Course of Study
    The definition of a full course of study for an F-1 student enrolled in an English language training program is that the student must meet 18 clock hours per week if the majority is classroom instruction or 22 clock hours per week if the majority of the program instruction does not take place in the classroom, such as in the case of laboratory work. Online or distance learning courses do not count toward your full course of study requirement.

    If you are unsure if your class schedule meets the requirements for a full course of study, talk to your DSO. If meeting this full course load requirement is difficult for you, talk to your DSO immediately to discuss if you are eligible for a reduced course load. Learn more about this requirement by visiting the Full Course of Study page.
  • Attend and Pass Your Classes
    Attend and maintain normal academic progress. Do not drop classes without first speaking with your DSO. If school is too difficult, speak with your DSO immediately to figure out your options. If you believe that you will be unable to complete your program by the end date listed on your Form I-20, talk with your DSO about requesting a possible program extension.
  • Take An Annual Vacation
    Like other F-1 students, you may be eligible to take an annual vacation after completing an academic year at an SEVP-certified school. However, because your English language training programs may have a unique schedule, you should talk to your DSO to ensure you understand what constitutes a full academic year and the rules that apply to taking an annual vacation.
  • Transfer to Another SEVP-Certified School
    You may transfer to a different SEVP-certified school at any time, including immediately upon arriving in the United States. However, you may only make an immediate transfer if you can begin your course of study at the transfer-in school within 30 days of your arrival to the United States. If you want to transfer, talk with your DSO and visit the Instructions for Transferring to Another School as an F-1 Student page.


Student Benefits

While studying in the United States, you can apply for certain benefits. These student benefits are not granted by SEVP and require students to apply to other U.S. government agencies to receive them.

  • Apply for a Driver’s License
    Driving a car without a driver’s license is illegal, but F-1 students are eligible to apply for such a license. To acquire a driver’s license, you must apply for one at your local Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV), which can have a different name in some states. For more information about this process, please talk with your DSO and visit the Apply for A Driver’s License page.
  • Work in the United States
    You may seek approval for on-campus and off-campus employment, as well as an internship with an international organization. However, you cannot participate in practical training during your program of study, including any unpaid opportunities.

    You may apply for on-campus employment up to 30 days before the start of classes. To apply, talk to your DSO. If approved, your DSO will provide you with a letter of approval, and you should ask for a similar document from your employer. If you participate in on-campus employment, you may not work more than 20 hours per week while school is in session. If you have additional questions, please visit the F-1 Student On-Campus page on

    Off-campus employment is work that takes place outside of a school campus. Off-campus employment is only available to you if you have completed at least one full academic year of your program of study and have an economic hardship that qualifies for the U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s emergent circumstances. To work off campus, you must receive approval from your DSO, obtain an updated Form I-20, and apply for and receive employment authorization from U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Visit the Working in the United States page for more information.
  • Apply for a Social Security Number
    If you work while in the United States, you must apply for and receive a Social Security number (SSN). If you apply for an SSN for on-campus employment, you will need the approval letter from your DSO and a letter of approval from your employer. For off-campus employment, you will need your employment authorization document from USCIS. For more information about this process, please visit the Obtaining a Social Security Number page.

    If you receive non-wage income while in the United States (for example, scholarships, grants, interest on stocks, gambling/lottery winnings) and are not eligible for an SSN because you do not receive wages, you must apply for an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number.


Change Status

If you want to change the purpose of your visit while in the United States, you (or in some cases, your employer) must file a request with USCIS on the appropriate form before your authorized stay expires. USCIS recommends that you apply as soon as you determine that you need to change to a different nonimmigrant category. If USCIS denies your application, be prepared to leave the United States when your current status expires. Additional information can be found on the Change of Status page.


If you have maintained your status and finished a program of study and do not transfer to another SEVP-certified school, you have a 60-day grace period to depart from the United States. Failure to depart within this grace period could adversely impact your ability to re-enter the United States under a different nonimmigrant or immigrant classification. 

Print Guide