US flag   Official website of the Department of Homeland Security

U.S. Department of Homeland Security: Study in the States

View Disclaimer



January 15, 2020
The Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) released policy guidance titled, “Form I-20 Issuance and School Use of Recruiters,” in June 2019,...
Woman looking at a computer
Filter Blog By:
woman working at a coffee shop
June 16, 2015
If you are an international student who is interested in working while in the United States, you need to follow the rules and prepare ahead of time. The Working in the United States resource page on Study in the States helps school officials and international students understand employment...
woman working in an office
May 11, 2015
The U.S. government takes working illegally very seriously, so as an international student it is important to be familiar with the rules and regulations about working in the United States.  Before you can begin working in the United States, the first step is to talk with your designated school...
young woman at a laptop in the park
April 23, 2015
 An H-1B visa grants temporary employment authorization to nonimmigrants that perform services in a specialty occupation. To qualify for H-1B status, you must have a bachelor’s degree or higher (or the equivalent of a U.S. bachelor’s degree). Sometimes a training equivalent to completing a degree...
tax files
March 12, 2015
Do you have a part-time job? Have you received scholarship money or a grant from your school? In both of these instances, you are required to file and pay taxes as an international student studying in the United States.  The Internal Revenue Service (IRS), part of the U.S. Department of Treasury,...