US flag   Official website of the Department of Homeland Security

U.S. Department of Homeland Security: Study in the States

View Disclaimer


Students: Read these Tips to Maintain Your Status

August 14, 2018

While studying in the United States, it is important to maintain your F or M student status.

Your student status relates to the purpose for or reason why you want to come to the United States. If you take any action that detracts from that purpose, you risk losing your status and being sent to your home country.

If the U.S. Department of State issues you an F or M student visa, you are coming to the United States to study. You should not take any action that detracts from studying. Maintaining your status means:

  • Fulfilling the purpose for which the Department of State issued you your visa.
  • Following the regulations associated with that purpose.

If you are an F-1 student, you have 60 days after the program end date on your Form I-20, “Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status,” to leave the United States. If you are an M-1 student, you have 30 days after the program end date on your Form I-20 to leave the United States. Failure to depart within this grace period could adversely impact your ability to re-enter the United States under a different nonimmigrant or immigrant classification.

Always remember to talk with your designated school official if you have any questions about maintaining status while studying in the United States.

For more information, visit the Maintaining Status page on Study in the States and follow Study in the States on Twitter and Facebook for tips to help you maintain your status.

Back to Blog

Was This Helpful?

Additional Feedback
Additional Feedback