1. Home
  2. Blog
  3. Maintain Your F-1 Status During Summer Vacation
Student leaves school for annual vacation

Maintain Your F-1 Status During Summer Vacation

May 17, 2018

As the end of the school year approaches, keep in mind that you must report any changes to your Form I-20, “Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status,” or your travel plans to your designated school official (DSO) in order to maintain your F-1 student status.

You are also required to report any changes to your legal name, addresses or employment information to your DSO within 10 days of the change. This includes any changes that occur during annual vacation in the summer, such as an address change if you move into summer housing.

Changes that you must report to your DSO include but are not limited to any:

  • Changes to your physical address, mailing address, email address or telephone number.
  • Changes to your legal name.
  • Changes to your major, program or degree level.
  • Changes to your education level.
  • Plans to transfer to a new school.
  • Plans to take a break or temporary absence from school.
  • Plans to travel outside the United States.
  • Request for a program extension, which you can only request prior to your program end date.
  • Changes to employer information (if applicable).

To learn more about maintaining your F-1 student status, visit the Maintaining Status page on Study in the States.

Was This Helpful?
Please provide feedback on this page.