US flag   Official website of the Department of Homeland Security

U.S. Department of Homeland Security: Study in the States

View Disclaimer


Questions from Designated School Officials: What Financial Information Should Be Included on the Form I-20?

April 19, 2017

As a designated school official (DSO), you must verify an international student’s financial information before issuing the student a Form I-20, “Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status.” This process includes receiving the student’s financial evidence and reporting the student’s assets.

The cost information on the Form I-20 should also include the average school tuition, school fees and living expenses for either the full length of the program, the length of a single academic year or 12 months, whichever is shortest.

While there are no federal regulations that explain specific requirements for what type of evidence of financial support international students must provide, common examples of information provided on the Form I-20 include:

  • Family bank statements.
  • Documentation from a sponsor.
  • Financial aid letters.
  • Scholarship letters.

If an international student will require financial aid to participate in a program of study, you must still enter full cost information as well as the financial aid information on the student’s Initial Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) record. List any amount of personal funding or support a student is receiving, such as living with a relative, in the “Student’s Funding” section under “Funds from Another Source.”

Need more information about financial information and the Form I-20? Visit the SEVIS Help Hub for a step-by-step guide on creating an initial Form I-20.

Back to Blog

Was This Helpful?

Additional Feedback
Additional Feedback