1. Home
  2. Blog
  3. Reminder: Proof of Financial Support Needed to Issue Form I-20

Please note, this content may be outdated. Visit Study in the States' Students, Schools and Blog pages for more timely information on this topic.

A man working at a desk.

Reminder: Proof of Financial Support Needed to Issue Form I-20

December 13, 2016

Prospective F-1 or M-1 students must provide proof that they have the financial resources to live and study in the United States. Prospective students should provide this information to their Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP)-certified school when requested.

Designated school officials (DSOs) must capture this proof of financial support in the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) to create an initial Form I-20, “Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status.” You can find the directions explaining this process on the Create Initial Form I-20 (Certificate of Eligibility) page of the SEVIS Help Hub. The finances outlined should be enough for up to one year or the length of the program, whichever is shorter.

Evidence of financial support includes, but is not limited to:

  • Family bank statements.
  • Documentation from a sponsor.
  • Financial aid letters.
  • Scholarship letters.

If a DSO does not collect the proper financial information from a prospective international student, they cannot issue that student a Form I-20. Students need their Form I-20 in order to complete the necessary steps to studying in the United States, including:

Do you have questions about the financial proof needed to issue a Form I-20 to a prospective student? Contact the SEVP Response Center.


Was This Helpful?
Please provide feedback on this page.