Midterm Reminders for DSOs
During this time of year, many Student and Exchange Visitor Program-certified schools are midway through the academic term. While students study for midterm exams and begin to prepare for the end of the semester, designated school officials (DSOs) are reminded to:
- Verify that your students’ session start and end dates are correct in the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System.
- Ensure that you are aware of any potential changes to your students’ planned graduation or program end dates.
- Check-in with students about their full course of study requirement, and remind them that they need to speak with you before they drop any classes.
- Review the rules that apply to granting an international student a reduced course load for medical or academic reasons. Remember, international students need your permission before any adjustments to their schedule are made, as changes could affect their full course of study.
- Speak with your students who plan to travel abroad and make sure they have the documents they need at a U.S. port of entry, as well as your contact information.
Are there other midterm reminders you find helpful? Share them with us and fellow school officials on social media using the hashtag #StudyintheStates.