What DSOs Should Know About the Next SEVIS Release
June 4, 2015
An important Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) release is happening on Friday, June 26, 2015. SEVIS Release 6.21 will improve user experience, standardize information requirements and better ensure SEVIS data accuracy. The release is significant as it will impact the way in which designated school officials (DSO) use SEVIS, so it is important to be aware of the changes.
SEVIS Release 6.21 includes the following system enhancements:
- Name standardizations including new SEVIS name fields and character limits for student records;
- Email address standardization and format validation to include auto-correction of common email address entry errors;
- Student and exchange visitor U.S. address conversion and validation to improve system data accuracy;
- Revised Forms I-20, “Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status,” for F-1 and M-1 international students;
- Revised Form DS-2019, “Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor (J-1) Status,” for J-1 exchange visitors;
- Mass reprint request functionality that allows school officials to reprint forms for multiple nonimmigrants;
- SEVIS Downloads page where school officials can download reports on nonimmigrants whose names or addresses were changed during the conversion;
- Improved search functionality with the ability to search by SEVIS name fields; and
- Form DS-7002, “Trainee/Internship Placement Plan,” for J-1 exchange visitors only.
Implementation of SEVIS Release 6.21 will take place on June 26, 2015. On this date, SEVIS will be unavailable for use between 8 p.m. EDT, Friday, June 26, to 8 p.m. EDT, Sunday, June 28.
Read the Release Planning Guide and check out additional release resources in the Learn More section of the SEVIS Help Hub for additional information including user guides, videos and frequently asked questions, as well as a list of processes impacted by the SEVIS outage. Stay tuned to Study in the States for more information about SEVIS Release 6.21.
Do you have questions about this upcoming release? Send them via email to SEVISHelpdesk@ice.dhs.gov or call 800-892-4829 or 703-603-3400, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. ET.
Help us spread this important information about SEVIS Release 6.21 by sharing this blog post with your networks on Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn using #SEVIS.