1. Home
  2. Blog
  3. Dependents Offered Part-Time Study Opportunities

Please note, this content may be outdated. Visit Study in the States' Students, Schools and Blog pages for more timely information on this topic.

mother and daughter reading

Dependents Offered Part-Time Study Opportunities

June 1, 2015
If you are an F-1 or M-1 student with children and/or spouses in the United States as F-2 or M-2 dependents, your dependent may now study part time in any certified program at a school certified by the Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP), so long as the study does not amount to what regulations define as full time for an F-1 or M-1 student. 
This change is a result of amended U.S. Department of Homeland Security regulations that took effect May 29, 2015. The amended regulations still allow F-2 and M-2 dependents to participate up to full time in avocational or recreational studies, such as hobbies. F-2 and M-2 minors can and often must still attend kindergarten through 12th grade full time. However, an F-2 or M-2 dependent who wants to enroll full time in a course of post-secondary academic or vocational study must apply for and obtain approval to change their nonimmigrant classification to F-1 or M-1 before beginning their full-time study. 
If you are a designated school official (DSO), it is important to note that you are not responsible for overseeing or tracking dependent study. This is because a dependent still does not need to enroll or attend classes at the post-secondary level to maintain their status. However, DSO recordkeeping and reporting responsibilities for F and M students and dependents remain the same.
For additional information and answers to frequently asked questions about the amended regulations, visit the FAQ page
Was This Helpful?
Please provide feedback on this page.