US flag   Official website of the Department of Homeland Security

U.S. Department of Homeland Security: Study in the States

View Disclaimer

young woman at a laptop in the park

Students: Refer Your H-1B Status Questions to USCIS

April 23, 2015
An H-1B visa grants temporary employment authorization to nonimmigrants that perform services in a specialty occupation. To qualify for H-1B status, you must have a bachelor’s degree or higher (or the equivalent of a U.S. bachelor’s degree). Sometimes a training equivalent to completing a degree may also qualify you.
If you are a student seeking the status of your H-1B, have your petition’s receipt number available and please contact U.S. Citizen and Immigration Services (USCIS) at 1-800-375-5283, or log onto the USCIS Web page and click “Check Your Case Status” for the latest information on your petition. USCIS manages the H-1B program and is best equipped to answer your questions.
Also, ask your employer who filed the H-1B petition for you whether they have received any information about its status. If you do not have your receipt number, we also recommend contacting your employer for this information. You or your employer will need this number in order to check on the status of the petition. 
For more information about this visa program, please visit the USCIS Web page to understand the H-1B requirements. If you have non-H-1B related questions about working in the United States or want further clarification about your student status, please talk to your designated school official
Back to Blog

Was This Helpful?

Additional Feedback
Additional Feedback