As a designated school official (DSO) at a Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP)-certified school, you have a personal username and password to access the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS). SEVIS contains personal information about the international students who study in the United States, as well as the U.S. schools and programs that enroll these students. Your SEVIS login allows you to access your school’s Form I–17, “Petition for Approval of School for Attendance by Nonimmigrant Student,” and your students’ records.
Similar to other personal accounts — like online banking or email — it is important to develop a strong SEVIS password to keep system information safe. Use the following tips from the United States Computer Emergency Readiness Team
to create online passwords.
- Do not use passwords that are based on personal information and can be easily accessed or guessed.
- Do not use words that can be found in a dictionary.
- Develop a system for memorizing complex passwords.
- Use both lowercase and capital letters.
- Use a combination of letters, numbers and special characters.
As a DSO, keep your SEVIS login information secure, and create a new password if you believe it has been compromised.
Do you have SEVIS-related questions? Contact the SEVP Resource Center at 800-892-4829 or 703-603-3400 or SEVISHelpDesk@ice.dhs.gov