Preparing for Winter Break
As the weather gets colder in the United States and people start preparing for the holidays, students are preparing for midterm exams and making vacation plans. As an international student, studying and packing are important, but if you plan to travel this winter, you must also prepare your documents for your return to the United States.
The process for returning to the United States will be the same as when you first arrived. When traveling, it is important that you hand-carry the following documents:
- Your valid visa and passport;
- Your signed Form I-20, "Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status";
- Proof of financial support, which can be the same documents you provided at your original visa interview with the U.S. Department of State;
- Evidence of acceptance to your school, like an acceptance letter or recent tuition payment receipt; and
- Name and contact information (including a 24-hour emergency contact phone number) for your designated school official (DSO).
If you have additional questions about traveling, talk to your DSO.