1. Home
  2. Blog
  3. Should I Attend a College or a University?

Please note, this content may be outdated. Visit Study in the States' Students, Schools and Blog pages for more timely information on this topic.

Student at a college or university

Should I Attend a College or a University?

October 29, 2014
It is important to know all of your options when you decide where to study in the United States. In addition to location, costs, environment and program of study, you should also consider whether you want to attend a college or a university. Use the information below from Study in the USA to decide what type of school is right for you.
What is a college?
A U.S. college offers undergraduate education for students who have completed high school, also known as secondary school. Colleges range in the length and type of degree programs offered. A traditional U.S. college offers four-year programs that award graduates a bachelor’s degree. Community colleges in the United States often offer two-year programs and award their graduates associates degrees or other certifications. 
What is a university?
A university is a group of post-secondary colleges that vary in programs of study. In addition to undergraduate programs, a university includes graduate schools that award advanced degrees, such as the master’s and doctorate. If you already have an undergraduate degree, you may want to consider a university for an advanced degree program. 
What is next?
Remember, only schools certified by the Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) are authorized to accept international students. Use our School Search page to make sure the school you are interested in is SEVP-certified.
Want more information? Read Things to Keep in Mind When Choosing a School for important reminders to reference during your school search and visit EducationUSA for more information about the types of American education available to you.
Was This Helpful?
Please provide feedback on this page.