Four Steps to Help You Apply for a Visa
The U.S. Department of State issues visas at U.S. Embassies and Consulates. An F or M student visa allows you to travel to the United States for your studies. In order to apply for a visa, complete the steps below:
- Apply to a Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP)-certified school and gain acceptance.
- Pay the I-901 Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) Fee. Regulation requires all prospective F and M students to pay the I-901 SEVIS Fee before the U.S. Department of State issues you a visa.
- Identify the U.S. Embassy or Consulate that is most convenient for you to visit.
- Visit the website of the embassy or consulate you will visit, and follow the instructions on the site to:
- Pay your visa fee,
- Obtain acceptable photographs,
- Complete your online DS-160 visa application,
- Get a list of all required documents you must bring, and
- Schedule your visa interview appointment.
For more information on submitting a student visa application, visit the official Department of State Bureau of Consular Affairs website Travel.State.Gov. You can also read more about preparing for your visa appointment on the Study in the States visa resource page.