1. Home
  2. Blog
  3. Interested in Optional Practical Training? Read This First.

Please note, this content may be outdated. Visit Study in the States' Students, Schools and Blog pages for more timely information on this topic.

Learn the rules for OPT.

Interested in Optional Practical Training? Read This First.

December 13, 2013

If you are interested in employment during or after your program of study, it is important to understand and follow related rules and regulations. An F-1 student may apply for optional practical training (OPT), which is temporary employment that directly relates to your program of study. If you are an F-1 student and have completed one academic year in the United States, talk to your designated school official (DSO) to determine if you are eligible.

Remember that OPT must directly relate to your program of study.  In order to apply for this kind of employment authorization, you must receive a recommendation from your DSO and file a Form I-765, “Application for Employment Authorization” with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).  After USCIS approves your employment, they will send you a Form I-766, “Employment Authorization Document” (EAD).

Learn more about OPT and working in the United States by talking to your DSO and visiting this page of the USCIS website.


Was This Helpful?
Please provide feedback on this page.