1. Home
  2. Blog
  3. Transferring to a New School

Please note, this content may be outdated. Visit Study in the States' Students, Schools and Blog pages for more timely information on this topic.

Students can sometimes transfer programs.

Transferring to a New School

October 4, 2013

F and M students may be eligible to transfer to another Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP)-certified school. If you want to transfer, you must meet certain requirements to maintain your status, so talk to your designated school official (DSO) first.

If you are an F student at an SEVP-certified school and gain acceptance to another SEVP-certified school, your DSO is responsible for transferring your Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) record. You will have three related responsibilities:

  • Maintain your status at your current school during the transfer request process.
  • Prove to your current DSO that your new school has accepted you.
  • Begin study at the new school by the next available session start date or within five months, whichever is sooner.

If you are an M student at an SEVP-certified school, you may transfer to another SEVP-certified school only under specific conditions:

Talk to your DSO to find out if you qualify for a transfer. If you gain acceptance at an SEVP-certified school, your DSO is responsible for transferring your SEVIS record.

For more information, see the following pages:

Was This Helpful?
Please provide feedback on this page.