Transferring to a New School
F and M students may be eligible to transfer to another Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP)-certified school. If you want to transfer, you must meet certain requirements to maintain your status, so talk to your designated school official (DSO) first.
If you are an F student at an SEVP-certified school and gain acceptance to another SEVP-certified school, your DSO is responsible for transferring your Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) record. You will have three related responsibilities:
- Maintain your status at your current school during the transfer request process.
- Prove to your current DSO that your new school has accepted you.
- Begin study at the new school by the next available session start date or within five months, whichever is sooner.
If you are an M student at an SEVP-certified school, you may transfer to another SEVP-certified school only under specific conditions:
- You are within the first six months of entering the United States (must file a Form I-539, “Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status”); or
- You are unable to remain at your current school due to circumstances beyond your control (e.g., the school closes)
Talk to your DSO to find out if you qualify for a transfer. If you gain acceptance at an SEVP-certified school, your DSO is responsible for transferring your SEVIS record.
For more information, see the following pages: