US flag   Official website of the Department of Homeland Security

U.S. Department of Homeland Security: Study in the States

View Disclaimer

Please note, this content may be outdated. Visit Study in the States' Students, Schools and Blog pages for more timely information on this topic.
Learn about the visa application process for students from Visa Waiver countries.

Frequently Asked Question: May I study in the United States if I am from a Visa Waiver Country?

June 7, 2013

If you are a citizen of one of 36 countries around the world that participates in the Visa Waiver Program through the Department of State, you may enter the United States without a visa, but only under certain conditions:

  • For 90 days or fewer
  • For “business, tourism, visiting or pleasure”
  • After meeting specific requirements

If you want to study in the United States, however, you are just like a citizen from any other country. You must apply for an F or M visa after receiving acceptance to a Student and Exchange Visitor Program-certified school.

For more information contact your local U.S. embassy or consulate or an EducationUSA advising center.

Read more on the Department of State’s website to find out which countries participate in the Visa Waiver Program.

Back to Blog

Was This Helpful?

Additional Feedback
Additional Feedback