1. Home
  2. Blog
  3. What Should I Do if I Need to Defer My Acceptance?

Please note, this content may be outdated. Visit Study in the States' Students, Schools and Blog pages for more timely information on this topic.

Find out what to do if you need to defer your acceptance to a later date on the calendar.

What Should I Do if I Need to Defer My Acceptance?

May 21, 2013

Sometimes, a student must delay the start of a program of study. If you are an F or M student planning to study at a Student and Exchange Visitor Program-certified school,you may be eligible to defer your admission. Notify your designated school official (DSO) of this need as soon as possible. Your DSO can adjust your start date in the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System and issue you a new Form I-20, "Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status." Most importantly, you must do this before you travel to the United States.

The new date should be at the beginning of another semester or term, when you will be able to enroll. You must enter the United States on the new Form I-20 that reflects your adjusted program start date.

Remember, you can only enter the United States for a maximum of 30 days before your program start date. You cannot defer your program start date once you have already entered the United States.

If you do not report any delays to your DSO, report to your school by the listed program start date so your Form I-20 and visa remain valid.

Was This Helpful?
Please provide feedback on this page.