1. Home
  2. Blog
  3. Paying Your I-901 SEVIS Fee

Please note, this content may be outdated. Visit Study in the States' Students, Schools and Blog pages for more timely information on this topic.

Woman uses tablet computer.

Paying Your I-901 SEVIS Fee

June 13, 2012

You must pay the I-901 SEVIS fee if you decide that you want to study in the United States and have received acceptance to a Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP)-certified school. Paying the I-901 SEVIS fee is an important step in the process of applying for a student visa.

All prospective F and M students must pay the I-901 SEVIS fee to apply for a visa to enter the United States. If you are from a country that participates in the Visa Waiver Program, you must still pay the fee before you enter the country.

If you are in the United States on a valid nonimmigrant visa for a purpose other than attending school, and you are changing your status to F or M, you must also pay the fee.

Additionally, you may need to pay the fee if you are applying for reinstatement of student status or if you have been out of the United States for more than five months.

If you are unsure whether you need to pay the I-901 fee again, talk with your designated school official before you apply to extend your student status, transfer to another school, receive authorization for optional practical training, or receive a new visa for your current course of study.  

To pay the I-901 SEVIS fee, go to Once you pay your fee, you must print your receipt from You will use it as proof of payment and you should take it with you to your visa appointment and when you travel to the United States.

If you have questions, you can call the SEVP Response Center at 703-603-3400. SEVP answers this number from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. ET, Monday through Friday. At other times, you may leave a message and an SEVP representative will return your call. 

Was This Helpful?
Please provide feedback on this page.