US flag   Official website of the Department of Homeland Security

U.S. Department of Homeland Security: Study in the States

Utility Menu

View Disclaimer


Start Here!

If you are interested in studying in the United States, the first thing to do is research the school or program that is best for you. EducationUSA can help you find out more about the types of American education available to you.

Only schools that are certified by the Student and Exchange Visitor Program are authorized to accept international students. You can use our School Search page to make sure the school you are interested in is SEVP-certified.

If you are already in the United States on a valid nonimmigrant visa for a purpose other than attending school, such as for tourism, and are interested in studying in the United States, you will have to change your status.

You do not need to use a recruiter in order to obtain a United States student visa. To learn more, visit our commission-based recruiter resource page.

Next Step:


Was This Helpful?

Additional Feedback
Additional Feedback