SEVP External Training Application
The SEVP External Training Application (SETA) is an online learning management tool for current and prospective school and sponsor officials that teaches the rules and regulations governing SEVP and the Department of State’s Exchange Visitor Program (EVP).
SETA courses each contain lessons on key SEVP and EVP functions, responsibilities and resources. The available courses are:
- SEVP Basics – This course provides an overview of SEVP, SEVIS and the management of nonimmigrant student records.
- SEVP 101 – This course discusses the history of SEVP and describes the different types of nonimmigrant students and exchange visitors. This course also identifies the programs that certify, monitor and oversee nonimmigrant students and exchange visitors.
- EVP 101 – This course introduces the U.S. Department of State’s Exchange Visitor Program (EVP). The course discusses the history of the EVP, the purpose of exchange visitor categories and gives insight into the personal experiences of exchange visitors. This course also describes the roles of sponsors and participants.
- Introduction to Initial SEVP Certification – This course gives an overview of federal regulations that govern SEVP’s school certification process and requirements. It outlines important continuing responsibilities for certified schools and helps schools identify if SEVP certification is right for their school.
- Maintaining School Records and the Form I-17 -- This course gives an overview of maintaining accurate information on the Form I-17, "Petition for Approval of Schools for Attendance by Nonimmigrant Student," including managing school officials and recertification.
- Managing Exchange Visitor Records -- This course gives an overview of managing records for J exchange visitors, including pre- and post-arrival requirements.
- Managing your Designated Program -- This course gives an overview of best practices for programs that accept exchange visitors.
Navigating and Completing Courses
At this time, completion of the first four courses available in SETA is not mandatory. Current and prospective school and sponsor officials are encouraged to take this training to boost understanding of the rules and regulations governing SEVP and EVP. SEVP expects to continually evolve the application and intends to add additional courses as part of an ongoing effort to educate and train school and sponsor officials.
Should you have questions or technical issues, please email SEVP at SETA@ice.dhs.gov. The SEVP Response Center will also direct all emails and calls to this email.
To access these courses, please visit the SETA login page. Instructions on how to create a SETA account are available in the SETA Account Creation User Guide.
Frequently Asked Questions
For answers to frequently asked questions regarding SETA’s latest courses, refer to the SETA Launch Frequently Asked Questions.
Related Tags: SETA