SEVP Stakeholders: Read about SEVP Adaptations in Response to COVID-19
As the coronavirus (COVID-19) impacts international students and SEVP-certified schools, SEVP is closely monitoring key developments and will provide further information and important updates as necessary. It is a priority for SEVP to ensure that F and M students can make normal progress in a full course of study as required by federal regulations. Schools and students should document any changes and be prepared to provide this information to SEVP upon request. SEVP intends to be flexible and create special adaptations during this time.
Please visit U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE)’s COVID-19 section for updates from SEVP, including guidance for schools, international students, and answers to frequently asked questions.
Students: Requirements and Best Practices
- Maintain status: It is important that F and M students maintain their nonimmigrant student status, even during emergency events. This means you must continue to take all the necessary actions to remain in status, to the extent possible under the circumstances. You must also communicate with your designated school official (DSO) about the emergency plans on your campus, including any changes to your address.
- Communicate with employers: If you are participating in practical training, work with your employer to maintain practical training agreements. If changes have been made to your workplace environment, SEVP encourages you to consult with your employer to seek alternative ways to maintain training agreements, such as teleworking or other arrangements.
- Be cautious traveling: Refer to guidance from the CDC, U.S. Department of State, and the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) for specific port-of-entry screening processes, as well as any travel restrictions.
Schools: Fulfill Your Reporting Requirements
- Report Procedural Changes: Any procedural changes must be reported to SEVP within 10 business days of the change. If your school plans to provide online instruction or instruction at an alternate physical location, please see COVID-19 and Potential Procedural Adaptations for F and M nonimmigrant students for instructions for when and how to report changes to SEVP. Download the Optional Coronavirus School Reporting Template to help you report your changes to SEVP.
- Manage Student Records: Refer to these instructions for managing student records of F and M students impacted by COVID-19. Please make sure all information in SEVIS is up to date, including addresses.
Resources from SEVP’s Government Partners
Please refer to the below websites of other agencies to learn more about COVID-19 and the federal government’s response:
- CDC: Coronavirus Disease 2019
- U.S. Department of State: Current Outbreak of Coronavirus Disease 2019
- DHS: Notices of Arrival Restrictions Due to Coronavirus
- U.S. Department of Education: COVID-19 Information and Resources for Schools and School Personnel
- U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services: USCIS Response to the 2019 Coronavirus