Online Training for Designated School Officials
Whether it is your first year as a designated school official (DSO) or you have worked with F and/or M students for several years, familiarizing yourself with the rules and regulations surrounding your role is important. The Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) offers a free, self-paced online training for DSOs that provides information about your role and the F and M student process in seven modules.
By the time you finish this training, you will be more familiar with your responsibilities as a DSO. After completing the training, you can better understand all of the following:
- The student application process
- The student transfer process
- The Form I-17, “Petition for Approval of School for Attendance by Nonimmigrant Student” update process
- How to maintain student records
- How to communicate guidelines for student employment
- How to terminate and close out student records
To take the training course, create an online account. You also can download the course information as a PDF. If you have questions about the DSO training, call the SEVP Response Center at 703-603-3400.