US flag   Official website of the Department of Homeland Security

U.S. Department of Homeland Security: Study in the States

View Disclaimer

Please note, this content may be outdated. Visit Study in the States' Students, Schools and Blog pages for more timely information on this topic.
Young woman reads a book in a classroom.

Questions from Designated School Officials: Issuing Forms I-20 While an Update to the Form I-17 is Pending

February 11, 2013

Questions from Designated School Officials is a blog series on Study in the States for designated school officials (DSOs). Each month, we will answer a question that will help you advise your F and/or M students. If you are a DSO and would like to submit a question, you can email us or ask us via social media, your Field Representative or the SEVP Response Center. We may edit questions for clarity and consistency and may not feature all submissions on Study in the States.

Question: May I issue the Form I-20, “Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Status,” to an F or M student while my school has a pending update to the Form I-17, "Petition for Approval of School for Attendance by Nonimmigrant Students?”

Answer: If your school’s Form I-17 does not match the school’s current operating status, you must update the petition by reporting all changes.

You may continue to admit F and M students and issue Forms I-20 for previously approved programs while you have a pending update.

If you are updating your Form I-17 by adding new programs, you cannot issue a Form I-20 for any of those programs until the Student and Exchange Visitor Program has approved those updates.

Back to Blog

Was This Helpful?

Additional Feedback
Additional Feedback