US flag   Official website of the Department of Homeland Security

U.S. Department of Homeland Security: Study in the States

Utility Menu

View Disclaimer


Transferring to a New School

October 4, 2013
Students can sometimes transfer programs.

F and M students may be eligible to transfer to another Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP)-certified school. If you want to transfer, you must meet certain requirements to maintain your status, so talk to your designated school official (DSO) first.

If you are an F student at an SEVP-certified school and gain acceptance to another SEVP-certified school, your DSO is responsible for transferring your Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) record. You will have three related responsibilities:

  • Maintain your status at your current school during the transfer request process.
  • Prove to your current DSO that your new school has accepted you.
  • Begin study at the new school by the next available session start date or within five months, whichever is sooner.

If you are an M student at an SEVP-certified school, you may transfer to another SEVP-certified school only under specific conditions:

Talk to your DSO to find out if you qualify for a transfer. If you gain acceptance at an SEVP-certified school, your DSO is responsible for transferring your SEVIS record.

For more information, see the following pages:

Additional Resources: 

Was This Helpful?

Additional Feedback
This box lets you give us feedback about this article. We may not be able to reply.