US flag   Official website of the Department of Homeland Security

U.S. Department of Homeland Security: Study in the States

Utility Menu

View Disclaimer


Does an F or M Student Need to Pay Income Taxes?

January 29, 2013
Girl on campus with friends.

Tax season happens each spring in the United States. Do you know your responsibilities as an F or M student?

Anyone who works in the United States must report income to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). This requirement includes F and M students. An F or M student must report all earned income during a program of study in the United States. This includes all of the following:

  • Income from wages
  • Reception of a grant, fellowship, or scholarship
  • Interest from stock options
  • Lottery or gambling winnings
  • Other types of non-wage income

In the United States, all workers (including F and M students) must file a tax return each year to the U.S. government. After filling out your tax return, you will know how much, if any, tax you must pay. Taxes pay for government services, such as the military, public programs, schools and roads. The IRS of the U.S. Department of the Treasury administers tax collection from workers each spring. The IRS tax filing deadline is Monday, April 15, 2013.

If you are not eligible for a Social Security number but need to report income to the IRS, you can apply for an individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN). You can learn more on our ITIN resource page. If you have any questions, talk to your designated school official. The IRS also has helpful information.

Additional Resources: 

Was This Helpful?

Additional Feedback
This box lets you give us feedback about this article. We may not be able to reply.